Wilmington, North Carolina
Seeking a Superintendent
Location: Wilmington, NC
Salary: $60, 000 – $85, 000 K (Must be open to relocation at some point)
Reports To: Terminal Manager
Supervises: Foremen, Operators and Laborers in specific areas
- In this position, the Superintendent will supervise and coordinate all workers engaged in the stevedoring operations for loading and discharging of dry-bulk and break-bulk cargo.
- In addition, will serve as a liaison between the agency and terminal operations departments in order to ensure flawless customer service.
- Advocates for proper safety through communication, administration, and compliance with all safety, operating, environmental and business procedures/standards, policies and management directives
- Monthly meetings with key stevedores
- Oversee gang structuring and ensure efficiency
- Safety meetings before every shift
- Observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Work closely with terminal employees to ensure product transfers are completed in a safe and timely manner
- Develops skills of workers to stimulate a stronger/safer labor force
- Promotes teamwork and communication throughout the stevedoring operation
- Strengthens local ties and works with federal, state and local officials in a professional manner
- Work with other employees on projects related to Terminal Operations and business growth strategies
- Establish and grow new relationships constantly
- Studies stow plans to define sequence of loading operations, taking into consideration cargo space available, shipping instructions, and knowledge of cargo stowage
- Calculates number of hours, personnel, and equipment required for loading or unloading ship - places order for personnel and equipment
- Inspects load-test certificates of ship’ s cargo handling gear to make sure they meet safety regulations and that cargo will not exceed specified load capacity
- Inspects dock areas to make sure safety regulations are being observed
- Supervises workers engaged in checking and loading cargo to make sure that cargo is loaded in specified sequence in accordance with shipping instructions
- Prepares report of stevedoring activities such as time, hours, personnel, cargo handling gear used, and submits report to respective department
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’ s degree or HS diploma / GED and 5+ years’ experience in marine terminal operations including employee supervision.
- Ability to respond to issues quickly, safely and effectively in a fast-paced, stressful operating environment.
- Must have some Maritime experience.
- Experience with bulk or break bulk commodities
- Self- starter with strong leadership, communication, analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
- Valid driver’ s license and TWIC or ability to obtain a TWIC required
- Must meet physical, mental and dexterity requirements of the job including being physically able to climb and descend ladders and stairs to access the all levels of port operating equipment. This includes but not limited to the port operation equipment, unloader ship holds and upper level of the bauxite buildings.
Due to the high volume of applications we typically receive, we regret that we are not able to personally respond to all applications. However, if you are invited to take the next step in the process, you will typically be contacted within 2 weeks of submitting your application.