System Engineer (Active Directory)
Seeking a Systems Engineer (Active Directory)
Salary: $100, 000 – $115, 000K
Location: Houston, TX
- The primary responsibilities of this role will be for the build, configuration, and support of storage systems, including NetApp FAS, NetApp SolidFire, Nutanix Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI), VMware vSphere (when needed), Cisco UCS blade servers, and Cisco Nexus FC switches.
- Related duties may include management of SMB/CIFS shares, file and folder management, data protection devices, including Cohesity or Rubrik appliances as well as other project related work.
- This role is required to act as a tier three support engineer, so evening and weekend work may be required.
- Leads assigned areas of the IT Systems Infrastructure as well as junior engineers. Provides cross training and offers expert advice. Manages and develops infrastructure documentation.
- Reviews and designs systems that will support the infrastructure and business applications.
- Maintains and monitors infrastructure components for latest versions; performs health checks and maintenance, which may require after hours or weekend duties.
- Mentors junior members of the team while developing rapport, respect, and effective communication with all those interacted with, including IT and business owners.
- Leads and manages projects through completion while insuring minimal impact to the business and that various requirements and defined expectations are met.
- Evaluates solutions to meet infrastructure needs and makes recommendations to management for future strategies and tools to accomplish this.
- Performs third level support of issues in the infrastructure environment leveraging existing knowledge or support from vendors. This may include off hours support when needed.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent technical training is preferred.
- Typically requires a minimum 10 years of directly related experience as a systems engineer using various infrastructure components such as Active Directory, VMware, enterprise storage, networking and other applications listed below. Additional experience as a team lead, supervisor, or project manager is preferred. Longevity in a high level engineering role is required.
- Microsoft, VMware, Citrix, enterprise storage, and/or security certifications are a plus; existing certifications in some relevant areas of the job as described in the requirements section preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to troubleshoot a variety of technical problems and own issues through resolution while sometimes needing to engage others for assistance.
- Knowledge commensurate with experience level of the following programs/systems:
- Enterprise storage solutions
- NetApp FAS or SolidFire All Flash Arrays
- Design, including knowledge of Fibre Channel (FC) zoning and iSCSI protocols
- Enterprise Backup software and Data Protection appliances
- Cohesity or Rubrik appliances
- NetApp snapshot and replication tools, including Snap Manager for Exchange (SME)
- ExaGrid disk arrays
- Nutanix Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI)
- VMware vSphere 5.5 or newer
- Storage concepts, such as VMFS, NFS, etc.
- Cisco UCS or HP blade servers
- Disaster Recovery (DR) and Business Continuity (BC)
- Networking Concepts – VLANs, load balancing, VIPs, etc.
- Active Directory
- Public Cloud: Microsoft Azure or Amazon AWS
- SQL Server 2008 or newer
- Windows Server 2008/2012/2016
- System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) or other monitoring tools
- Strong understanding of server and networking fundamentals and concepts.
- Requires advanced understanding of technical concepts, very strong communication skills both verbal and non-verbal as well as the ability to function as an independent worker.
- Thorough understanding of client layer 2 and layer 3 networking as well as various network protocols and the ability to assist and train more junior level team members.
- May have acted as a manager, team lead, or project manager for various projects in an enterprise level setting, if possible.
- Working a number of evenings every month and available for weekend work, if required.
Due to the high volume of applications we typically receive, we regret that we are not able to personally respond to all applications. However, if you are invited to take the next step in the process, you will typically be contacted within 2 weeks of submitting your application.